Search This Blog

Thursday, July 3, 2014

I'm on a boat explicit explicit

Hell's yeah. I made it onto the boat. Not quite the boat I expected to be on, but there's some wheelin' and dealin' in the mix and we'll see where I end up if I end up anywhere at all (maybe I'll just be jumping around all summer). I'm finally here after that whole freakin' adventure. It took me all that, just to get to this boat. And you know what? It was incredible. I mean seriously, what a journey to get to the Amber Anne. And I didn't get to the boat to have the journey end. Oh no, stepping onto the boat with my fishing boots on was like stepping into a whole new adventure and a world so not like anything else that it's shocking.


So here is how it works. It seems to me that there is a tribute that must be paid to work on a boat. You basically have to show up early and do boat work for no pay. I don't know how that works, but it seems like you end up having to do that for every boat, no matter what, in order to work on it. And so right now I'm paying my tribute in order to move into the time where the boat makes money and I get paid. They provide food and housing for us while we do this, which is like pay for me, so it doesn't matter at all. My tribute involves everything about being a grown man let loose... I run around all day with blowtorches, pipe wrenches (the massive ones), huge tools, and mysterious engine liquids. It's what every guy dreams of I suppose. And it's beautiful. Just gorgeous. The blue of the water and the huge mountains. Waterfalls and whales. Everything up this way is on a much grander scale. And I love it. 

 
But how it's working out is I am on the Amber Anne writing this (it won't be posted until God knows when). I hopped on this boat with the skipper Bullet and two other deckhands, Steven and another kid (but he already quit). The owner is Hans though. Bullet and Steven brought the boat up from San Diego (I should of hopped on down there but there were some communication breakdowns) to Washington where Hans bought the boat. Bullet, Steven, and I worked on the boat there for three days and then ran 'er up through Canada and into Alaska. Just about 20 minutes ago I got word that I'm flying to Juneau in the morning. No reason why or what I'm doing there, but I'll fly from Ketchikan to Juneau randomly (we'll see what that's about). My speculation is that I'm getting onto the Deer Harbor II somehow (dunno where they're at right now). Which'll be awesome because I'll get to see my old friends! But I really have enjoyed working with Bullet and Steven. Now I'm sorry this post is so short guys, but this is basically just an update on where I am and what I'm doing. I work a lot so there isn't time to weave magical words into this blog right now. I'll add a ton of pictures, and maybe one night I'll really sit down and sacrifice a couple of my few hours of sleep to blog it out for y'all. But just know it's truly wild up here. These places are still untamed and I love the feeling of living in them. 

 
Bullet & Steven

 
 Amber Anne (since been changed from Croatian)

 
Workin'

 
Supplies and Steven

 
Driving a boat

 
Sunset around 2200

 
O' Canada 

 
Life's good :)

 
Be happy y'all,

Beacon 

No comments:

Post a Comment