Search This Blog

Friday, June 27, 2014

Almost to Alaska

Well I think somewhere deep down I really did enjoy blogging a little bit. And I have just gotten the same advice over and over again from people I respect to document what I do. I really do think one day I'll look back at this little experiment and enjoy reading it. I'll start off with me leaving Texas for Seattle. For the second time... but this time I wasn't hitching! I had a plane ticket. The plane was not exciting, but the layover in Salt Lake City proved interesting. Just chillen' there I decided to email a professor I knew was in Seattle. About a minute later he called me and was like 'I've got nothing to do today I'll come pick you up at the airport and show you around'. To which I was like awesome. I also got a text from Amber (my Alaskan connection) telling me I wasn't flying from Seattle to Alaska. I was to get on a train to Bellingham (or as I like to call it, almost Canada) and then hop on a boat that I'd work on up to Alaska and it looks like I'll work on all summer. So that was an interesting turn I didn't quite expect. And then I had to get on the plane and learned nothing more from either of them. I touched down in Seattle and my professor was there waiting for me! Totally awesome because I'd only ever taken one class from him last semester and I'd only emailed him two hours earlier. He picked me up and took me to a pub and we had some drinks before he took me to the community garden his girlfriend runs!

 
Seattle

 

 
The food garden

 
It was all super cool and so nice of him!! He took me and dropped me right in front of the place I was gonna stay too. Thank you Professor Mills!!

 
Professor Mills

 
So do y'all remember that farm I stayed at with Stretch near Eugene, Oregon? Well at that farm I mentioned that I was headed to Seattle and one of the girls there hooked me up with her friend Thomas in Seattle. This is who I was staying with. Now I didn't know one thing about this guy. How old he was, what he did, or anything. I knew nothing about him. But I got to his place, only 1 mile from the center of Seattle, and it was so freakin' cool!!! Tucked away in this secret garden sort of deal with flowers everywhere and a little chicken coop with chickens and a giant bunny! 

 
Look at that giant f****** bunny!! 

 
And Thomas was awesome. He's a drummer, but works for Microsoft. He'd realized he didn't like working for them and is now about to move to a farm to do what he enjoys (we should all do a little more of what we enjoy). We had some great philosophical conversations and definitely evolved from who the hell is this guy to good friends! 

 
Thomas

 
So I stayed at his for two nights and explored Seattle in between which was meh. Yeah Seattle is cool, but did it blow my socks off? Not really, but it was cool. So, I then took said train (said so by Amber) to Bellingham, walked like 100 yards to the shipyard and found the Croatian! 

 
More photos of the boat on FB

 
And that's as far as I'm gonna catch y'all up to for now ;). Because the boat is gonna be a whoooooooooole long story and explaining how a boat works and how everything works. So look forward to that in the future! 

 
Love you all,

Be happy

Beacon 

No comments:

Post a Comment