Search This Blog

Wednesday, June 4, 2014

From Sea to Shining Sea

I think it's about time in this trip to just look at some statistics. I started May 14th, which means I have been out for 22 days. I have stealthed three times and car camped once. Stayed with complete strangers, long lost friends, and friends I'll never forget. Gotten 46 rides. Been through 19 states. Gone South to North and Northwest to Southeast. Done over 5,000 miles hitchhiking this trip alone. I'm slimmer, fitter, and tanner. And I'm $10 richer than when I began. Stayed on three farms. I haven't been murdered, nor have I murdered anyone. Is hitching really that bad?

Christi and I left early this morning. Like crack of dawn early. Followed the rising sun up to Lexington where she needed to be and then she dropped me off. We waved goodbye and I was thumbing it again. 

 
Phillie (Christi's sister) 

 
Christi 

 
I used my new found signs and quickly got picked up by Jeff! He was on his way to his farm and he dropped me at a pristine hitching spot. 

 
Jeff

 
Where I got a ride from Brian Hunt. He was a down to Earth guy. And his son is Ethan Hunt, a country singer who's getting pretty big. He gave me a ride to an exit that wasn't so great. 

 
Brian Hunt 

But eventually Wane gave me a ride down to the next exit where he claimed there would be more traffic. So one exit down I was sitting with still no cars.

 
Wane

 
Until (this was todays lucky break) Bush picked me up. A local minister, he took me down about 5 miles to a hitching mecca. It was perfect!!! Plus he gave me candy (always take candy from strangers) and offered me money (always try not to take money). What a great guy.

 
Bush :)

 
I quickly got a ride from Angela and Bob who charged me the fair of telling them my story as the took me to the border of West Virginia. I happily obliged and they gave me an apple and $10 to be on me way with (I tried to deny it) only asking that I send a postcard sometime. Now folks, this is why I do what I do. About an hour later, when I was in a different ride, Angela texted me. And this is what it said "Beacon-happy trails to you today. Thx for restoring my sheltered Bob's faith in strangers. Could you txt flying j pic you took?"... That's just awesome isn't it? I sent the picture to them and I'm looking forward to sending that postcard as well. 

 
Angela & Bob

 
I didn't even have to ask for the next ride. Gary asked me where I was going and was on my way with him. Gary was a great guy headed to Roanoak. I was trying to get to PA today, but instead threw those plans out the window to get dropped in Blacksburg where one of my dearest friends Crazy Frogg will be arriving tomorrow. Gary was hauling a 5th wheel all the way from Nevada. Crazy long trip (I would know) and he told me he was going to park it down by Myrtle beach and leave it there for a year or so. He invited me to come stay in it at any time!

 
Gary

 
He dropped me in Blacksburg where I played phone tag and netwoked my way into staying with a friend of a friend of a friend who it turns out I had met once before a year ago when I was at a party in Blacksburg. Anyways, thank you Liz for letting me stay here even though you're not even here tonight! 

And thus was my day...

Be happy, sorry my writing is boring, but I'm kinda tired. 

Beacon

No comments:

Post a Comment