Search This Blog

Monday, June 16, 2014

Texas Bound

This may clear up a lot for y'all. I suppose  I never actually said why I was headed to Miami. Turns out my mom bought a car down there a little while ago. I've no idea why she bought a car way the hell in Miami, but she did. The shipping company was taking forever to ship it and she really wants her car. And so when I was in Connecticut she asked me to go get it and drive it back. And a few days later there I was in Miami. Miami is such a huge urban sprawl that it would have been difficult to navigate. That's why I took the Megabus in. I didn't really know what I would be doing once I got there either (probably public bus it) until my uncle called me up and told me about a friend of his that lived there! And so Kathy came and picked me up at the Megabus stop and dropped me off at the car dealership!


Kathy

 
She was a hoot. Used to be friends with my uncles and my father. And then an hour later I had a car.


 
Me mum's car 

 
Now I was all the way in Miami right? So of course I was going to go check out the Keys! So I drove out of there with the windows down heading to the exact opposite of where I should be headed (Seattle). Along the way I saw a hitchhiker (different type than me). Now lemme' tell you, there is a way I could be the worst person in the world. And that way is if I didn't pick up hitchhikers. If I did all I did and then didn't pick up a hitcher I would just be awful. But of course I picked him up!! 


 
Rick

 
He had luggage and a violin with him and was on his way down for four days fishing. He'd been tired of the bus schedule! We kicked it off pretty well. He was an awesome guy! We stopped at a bar along the way to see the Tarpons and holy crap are those some big fish.


 
Bar


 
Mega fish (like as big as me)

 
We kept going and watched the sun go down on our way to Key West. When we finally got there Rick took me to this awesome bar with a great band and bought me this amazing dinner! It's funny when you pick up a hitcher and he takes you out! But man, that was a blast. Really an awesome night and I didn't want to leave. That doesn't happen to me too often, but I didn't want to leave. 


 


 

 
And alas, I did leave. Around midnight. And I drove (after I'd been awake since 7 that morning and already driven from Miami to Key West) all the way to Jackson Mississippi. I got there around 6 the next day to visit my good friend Samson from trail! On my way I got one other hitcher named Albert who just had a hankerin' (his phrasing) for some ice cream and was walking that way.


 
Albert

 
Now Samson told me that he lived in a rough neighborhood. And I freakin' believed him. Until I got there. I am disappointed in myself for having believed that! This place was swanky.


 
His backyard

 
Samson'd been pullin' my leg. And so I got to see him and his wife and some of the kids. And it was a great time. I definitely ate around 3 steaks my stay there. They fed me so much and it was great hanging out and getting to know them. Because, let me tell you, Samson is the kindest and most sincere guy you'll ever meet. Seriously though, he is just awesome. Fond memories of trail with him. And he is a skydiver and scuba diver and a boxer and anything else exciting you can think of. He's done it all and is a great inspiration.

 
Samson and his wife

 
So thank you so much Samson for everything you've done! Hope to see you next year on the PCT :)

 
Waiting for an oil change, then next stop Houston and finally SA tonight!

Be happy,

Beacon


No comments:

Post a Comment