Search This Blog

Friday, October 24, 2014

When adventure calls, answer.

I realize that in most of my blogging I never really talk about how to travel. I just tell you what I do, but I leave out a lot of the nitty gritty details because I feel like most people aren't worried about it. And maybe they aren't, but I'm going to start giving more tips into this lifestyle. I've had some people asking my advice on traveling. So first let me say, traveling like this is a mindset and nothing more. It's not all about the deals, the cheapest sites, and the people you know. It's about the pure adventure of it all. But I guess it does help to know how to do stuff cheap! 

So how I made this happen is I got a Megabus (best buses out there) ticket for $20 from SA to DFW. Why? Because flying out of DFW is going to save an immense amount of money. Getting to a larger airport for cheap is almost always the best option. Sometimes there are funny deals some cities have going like SA and Seattle, but, normally, the larger the airport the cheaper it'll be to fly out of. And the same goes for flying into somewhere. I went up a day earlier than my flight because that's how the bus schedule coincided with my flight. I didn't want to spend the night in DFW airport so I was desperatly trying to remember who I knew in Dallas when I remembered my friend Brent! I'd met him when we were both serving at a Vipassana meditation sitting a year prior. He welcomed me enthusiastically, he was just excited to get to talk to someone about traveling. And this guy has been so many places. He has lived in Japan and almost everywhere in South America. He has an incredible knack for languages and has collected many an item from all over the world. Seriously, his room was amazing with all the things he had brought back from his travels. I kind of hope I can have a room that looks like that one day. And we had a great night with some incredible Indian food at one of the cooler resturaunts I've ever been to. It was awesome, and then he took me to the airport early in the morning to see me off.

Now I have never been on a flight where the plane is not the at the very last terminal and I'm not sat in the very back of the aircraft. But somehow, this flight, I got upgraded to first class for free!? Woo!! Who woulda thunk it? Well this means I get to drink free whisky and eat my free crappy airplane food while I watch the sun set outside and the stars slowly start to peek out.


And I can't help but remember a similar flight I took two years ago the first time I went to Europe. I once flew overnight from Seattle to Iceland (maybe I've written about this before) and I had the most incredible thing happen. I hadn't expected this at all, but I woke up in the middle of the night on that flight and casually glanced out the window only to be awstruck by the Northern Lights staring me down. It was so incredibly beautiful I couldn't believe it. I was listening to the Icelandic radio station at the time and it was just so perfect for the lights. With the bells and the chimes, it was cold music, but the Northern Lights are a cold thing. It was inspiring. It was more beautiful than I could imagine. The green wavering ribbons. They're so graceful and so quiet you know? It's scary almost, you could be going about your buisness one night in the North and if you don't happen to look up you'd have no idea that they were up there dancing away. 

So I finally go to Ireland and I only wanted one thing... to sleep. I knew I shouldn't of stayed up all night and that the jetlag would get me, so I decided to use today as my buffer day. I hoofed it out of the airport to the first wooded area I found, pitched my tent and passed out for 6 hours and it was awesome. I love camping in the cold!! Woke up around 4, walked back to the airport for some wifi and now I'm attempting to tinder a stay haha. And if that doesn't work out I'll just stage for my hitching tomorrow! If you care to find me look toward the Western sky!!! (for y'all I guess it'd be East though)

Anyways, I miss you all! Can't wait to see Ireland. I'll update you when cool things actually happen :)

My home

Arriving in Ireland! 

Be happy :),

Beacon 

No comments:

Post a Comment