Search This Blog

Sunday, May 18, 2014

Beta Breakers

Welp... San Francisco. Beta Breakers (Actually called 'Bay to Breakers' but I didn't figure that out for a while). It happened. 'Bout the closest thing I was gonna get to Trail Days (currently happening on the other side of America). And it was pretty awesome. 

The day didn't exactly start out normal I suppose. There was some preemptive epicness that preceded the day to come. First off, I woke hope in the house of one of my dearest friends Obie. Second, we ate bacon waffles for breakfast. Why? 'Cause 'Merica. Then me and Obie headed out to San Francisco via BART.  We were headed to Beta Breakers. All I knew of this was that I was promised it should basically be a national holiday and that I would see naked people. No other info was forthcoming. Well of course I was like let's go. I find out it's a race. 7 miles from the bay, to the breakers (in the ocean). But this isn't just a race. It's true people run the event, but most of the people come for the shenanigans. When we stepped onto the streets of San Fran I saw people. Tons of people. Almost all of them dressed in some different costume. I mean there were people dressed as EVERYTHING. Name anything you can think of and someone was dressed as it. Think of a planet, a vegetable, a concept, or even an app. And you could find someone dressed as it at the Beta Breakers. And yes, there were people who didn't dress at all. Obie and I made our way to a bar where we were meeting her mates. They had reserved a section of this bar and we were supposed to meet them there, but we were a little early and they were a lot late. We hung out there for a little when a group came in all dressed as sailors. I'm gonna call them the motorboat crew. Why the motorboat crew? Well, to get this right, most of them were hot girls and a few were guys. They had a megaphone with a siren on it and every time they sounded the siren someone got motorboated. This infectious spirit even spread to our little old Asian bar tender (she being a recipient of such festivities). We were just sitting there drinking a beer and watching this when a couple guys give us jello shots. Now it's only 9:30 in the morning at this point. But what the hell right? It's Beta Breakers! And so all this goes on for a bit before Obie's friends show up around 10. And we continue to drink some more... 

 
Obie and the race

 
A cheap costume

 
A little while later we wander out of the bar and into the race area. Were we end up with the drunk crowd (rightfully so) of thousands of people all walking towards the beach. There are naked people, bananas, minions, animals, mythical creatures, apps, hippies, cops, and everything in the middle. We made it a couple miles through this massive block party with Obie's friends before they were too drunk to continue. Obie and I had to make to the breakers ourselves and a sobering 4 miles later we did just that! 

 
The drunks :)


Costumes

 
After a beautiful walk through the parks in San Fran Obie used this new über app and we got a ride all the way back to the BART, jumped on, got to her car, drove by her parents, and then made it to Napa where I got to spend the night hanging out with her awesome roommates! I had the best stir fry I have ever had in my life. Seriously. It was a godsend. 

 
The Breakers 

 
Now I know I'm not doing any of this justice BUT just know that this is all a million times cooler than I make it sound. It really is, I swear it. 

Keep it happy now, 

Beacon 



No comments:

Post a Comment