Search This Blog

Thursday, May 22, 2014

EIEIO

Well in Arcata I decided go stealthing after striking out on finding a place to sleep inside. I checked out my map and then headed off in the direction of a redwood forest. It was nearing the end of my daylight and when I entered the forest my body new exactly what to as I had done this a million times before while on trail. My legs hit hiking stride in a desperate attempt to get everything up before all the daylight was gone. It was a strange sort of deja vu. I was passing tree trunks as big as cars on my way away from civilization when I rounded the corner to find these two kids had set up camp here. Gaylord and Emma, from Portland, had also hitched down here and decided to stealth in this very same forest. It was just so surprising and so exciting at the same time! We chatted it up and then with the very last remains of twilight I tore out of there, scrambled up a hill, and pitched my camp. 


 
When I woke up from that beautiful night in the redwoods I found a huge banana slug outside my tent. I thanked my lucky stars that it hadn't slimed on my tent and I took off to start hitching (passing Gaylord and Emma on the way out). I walked a couple miles to the nearest North onramp and threw out my thumb with some liveliness. I had to turn down two short rides before Ocean picked me up and gave me a ride to a better hitching spot.

 
Ocean

 
Again it didn't take long for Katy to pick me up either. 

 
Katy

 
She kind of dropped me in the middle of nowhere so I went to explore the beach before going to the freeway to hitch North. 

 
Sand monies
 
 
It took a little while to get Ted to stop for me. Funny deal, he stopped waaaaay past me and reversed for what seemed like forever to get back to me. He was on his way to go diving and took me up to the next small town with a promise that if I was still there when he was done he would take me with him up to Crescent City. 


Ted
 
 
I was literally there for 3 cars when a car did some stutter stepping and I knew there was an internal debate in the car. They stopped after all and I hurried over. I was excited about the Oregon plates, but surprised to find a rental car with an older couple and a kid about my age. This was Liz, Steve, and Josh. Apparently they had seen me hitching earlier (I was just doing funny stuff on the side of the road) and they had thought to themselves "we should get him". Then, thanks to Teds quick driving I ended up in front of them again and they recognized my Beacon shirt! And that was it! They were going all the way to Portland and didn't mind dropping me off in Eugene!! They were some of the coolest people ever and we became great friends (they drove me about 300 miles). Liz became all motherly over me and it was just fun!


Steve & Liz
 
 
They dropped me off at a McD's in Eugene where Stretch (an awesome chick I met on trail) came and got me from. Now let me tell you, there are some things in this world that are irreplaceable. And the best thing of all, like the very very best thing ever, is that first hug with a good friend that you haven't seen in forever. This was that case, as it was with Obie down in San Fran. Those hugs = pure incredibleness. It was so good seeing Stretch, doing all the trail talk and everything. Plus I was going to hang out with her for a day or so! She is working on this farm that she took me back to that night. 


The farm
 
 
She took me back that night, I met all the people she worked with, and she fed me tons of food because she knows what's up. It was late and we hit the hay pretty early 'cause we were both tired. 


My couch
 
 
Next morning we were up early and I decided to help out with all the farm stuffs. I've never worked on a farm before and all this was pretty awesome. It was super fun, the place was beautiful, and there is just something magical about getting dirty all day long. 
 
 
Still the farm
 
 
So we worked all day, talked, and caught up. Had some laughs and a good time. It was kind of super freakin' amazing. I wish I could explain it more, but it is beyond words. It was a fantabulous day and I loved it. 
 
 
It's dirt'o'clock
 
 
Oh, and check out my hoes.


My hoes (another bad joke)
 
 
The next morning Stretch and I woke early and she dropped me off at the same McD's that she picked me up at. After heartfelt hugs goodbye she was off to the farm, and me to the North.


Stretch

Yay for today!

Be happy,

Beacon 

No comments:

Post a Comment