Search This Blog

Saturday, May 24, 2014

Portlandia

Portland
 
 
I made it to Portland! It took all of 20 minutes after Joe dropped me off on the edge of Salem before Angela picked me up. Angela is a super nice girl, still 23 years young, and a hell of a driver. It seemed like I blew her mind a little telling her about my lifestyle and she was pretty surprised I was younger than she is. But that happens sometimes. We had a good time and she dropped me off in Portland, it was as simple as that.


Angela
 
 
Once in Portland I got to see some weirdness. I found my friend, whom I hadn't seen in 5 years (wow am I old), at her work. She wouldn't get off until 3:30 and it was like noon. So I wandered around in the drizzle and found the famous donut shop, Voodoo Doughnut, and the famous bookstore Powells. It was pretty cool. All the people were super chill. All in all it was a cool place so far. Soon Amanda was off work and we went back to her house where I got a real look at the public transit. Now let me tell you something, you always learn a lot about a city by its public transit and the people who ride it. If you're ever somewhere new and you want a feel for the city go on a public bus ride. And it's just funny to watch people who ride the bus. But it all worked out. We made it to Amandas place where I was promptly welcomed and I became like a part of the whole ecosystem of the house. I met her boyfriend Andrew and he is hilariously awesome. A super chill dude. Me and Amanda went and checked out the art museum because it was free that day and you can't pass up on anything free.  


Art'n'stuff
 
 
While there Amanda said one of the truest things I've ever heard. Me and her have never really been big city people and she said "that's why cities suck, because there's no reason to, and really no excuse either, not live in a beautiful place" and that just hit me as the absolute truth.... After the art museum we just hung out all night at her house and had a great time. The next day was spent continuing to explore Portland and its public transit (which I really like). We checked out the Saturday market and I had lunch with Joe's (the guy I stayed with in Salem) twin brother Nick! Nick has traveled quite a bit and gave me some traveling tips on Africa which is like gold to me. And then we just continued chillen' at her house. And there is just something about being brought, non-awkwardly, into a group and made to feel like you belong there. It's an incredible feeling. 
 

Amanda & Andrew

Now I know this is kind of a boring post, but meh. The world can't be fireworks all the time. Since a lot of people have asked though, I will explain my detour. I originally thought I needed to be in Seattle on the 10th of June. But it has changed to the 29th of June.... It's only the 24th of May today. This means I have over a month to kill. I'm gonna begin what I want to call my freeroam of America. And I'm just gonna go wherever I want and do whatever I want. Which is kind of super exciting. Sooooooo things should start going down soon :)

Be happy!!! 

Beacon  


No comments:

Post a Comment