Search This Blog

Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Happy Trails

You never hear anyone tell you happy trails in the real world. Seriously, I haven't heard someone tell me happy trails since I was on the Appalachian Trial. And, back then, whenever someone told you happy trails it was just so heartfelt because they understood what you were trying to do and they agreed with it on an intimate level. I almost couldn't handle it. I miss that sincerity in the real world. 

I've been hanging out with my friend Ariel recently. I've really only known her a few weeks but she has been incredibly kind to help me out towards this adventure. The details are complicated, but long story short she got me to Lubbock from San Antonio right when I needed to be there. She and her family were also kind enough to let me stay at their place last night. Seeing as I was about to meet her family she started giving me all sorts of disclosures on the car ride to Lubbock ya know? I didn't get any details, but apparently her dad used to be a hobo back in the day. But the real kind, train hoppin' and all. Of course I was extremely interested in meeting this man because what's better than meeting a veteran in the lifestyle you lead? Old traveling souls always have the most amazing stories and they never cease to inspire me in my ways. When I finally got to meet him I wasn't disappointed in the least. Don is an amazing man who led an amazing life with some amazing stories to remember it by. And it was while I was there, and Don was praying over dinner, that he wished me happy trails. That good ol' greeting I hadn't heard in forever and that my heart had been craving. Him and his wife Rebecca were crazy friendly and ridiculously fun. I got to eat Rebecca's famous chicken spaghetti and I got to hear Don's traveling spirit sing through his guitar strings that night. I met Jack and Bethany, Ariel's brother and sister, along with all their cats'n'dogs. It was kind of an amazing last night in Texas. And it's great knowing you can find the hobo folk in the strangest of places. 

After all that Ariel was sweet enough to drop me off the next morning at the house of some people I barely knew. Megan and I have met once before like a month ago. I found out she was headed West and awesomely enough she was willing to give me a ride. Her friend Caitlyn, who is also with us, I had never met at all. Ariel dropped me off at Caitlyn's house and now I am on my way to San Diego with a girl I'd only met once and another girl I'd only met never. And we have only gotten lost once
so far :)

More to come soon,

Happy Trails to all y'all

Beacon 


Don & Rebecca 



Ariel


Caitlyn & Megan 

No comments:

Post a Comment